Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Australia - Whitsundays - Elvis





We spend a very rocky night at our outside mooring buoy and first thing the next morning move in to a closer one as soon as someone leaves. It is a beautiful bright sunny day and we look around this beautiful backdrop and are thankful for all we have around us.

We all head in to the water to do some snorkelling. We head to the west side of the bay, but it isn't very good as it is all windblown. Dave and John and I head back to where the kids were last night. Here they have marked the edge of the reef with markers, so we can see where it is and the boats can't get in there. It is a bit of a swim to get over there and we can't see the bottom at first. I don't like it when I can't see the bottom and I have to make myself continue. We finally get to where we can see it and are rewarded with more kinds of coral than I have ever seen before. There are fans and brains and things that look like 5 foot clams with purple lipstick on! We even see Nemo! There are great amounts of fish too. Foot long bright blue beefy ones and little yellow ones and big Angel fish. By this time I am cold so I swim back to the boat.

As I am getting closer, out of the corner of my eye I see a huge fish. It is all I can do to keep from screaming, as I know it is Elvis, but I'd rather be looking at him from in the boat, than in the water. I do not pause, but summon all of my now defunct training and burn it back to the boat. I also see the bottom churning with sand, that prior to Steve Irwin's demise, would have had me thinking - oh it's just a stingray! Now it is a man-killer!

Later in the day, we take the zodiac back to the coral and Dave and Anna get in and see Elvis again. Dave dives down to see him even closer up and says he is closer to 5 feet long! I am safe in the 10 foot long piece of inflatable plastic!

Holly

No comments: